Freedom writers = Écrire pour exister
Call NumberVideos F
Statement of ResponsibilityParamount Pictures presents in association with MTV Films a Jersey Films/Double Feature Films production ; directed by Richard Lagravenese ; screenplay by Richard Lagravenese ; produced by Danny DeVito, Michael Shamberg, Stacey Sher ; executive producers, Hilary Swank, Tracey Durning, Nan Morales, Dan Levine.
Creators & ContributorsLaGravenese, Richard
(performer)Paramount Pictures, Inc.
(contributor)MTV Films (Firm)
(contributor)Double Feature Films
SummaryA true story about a teacher in a racially divided school who gives her students what they've always needed: a voice. Erin Gruwell comes to a southern California high school bubbling over with naive optimism. She quickly discovers that her unruly classroom is not easily won over by her good intentions. Gruwell intercepts a racist drawing by one of her students and utilizes it to teach the class about the Holocaust. She gradually begins to earn the students' trust and buys them composition books to record their diaries, in which they talk about their experiences of being abused, seeing their friends die, and being evicted. Gruwell invites various Jewish Holocaust survivors to talk with her class about their experiences and requires the students to attend a field trip to the Museum of Tolerance.
Physical Description 1 videodisc (122 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in
Carrier Typevideodisc (DVD)
LanguageEnglish, French, Optional subtitles in English and Spanish; Closed captions.
PublisherHollywood, CA : Paramount Pictures
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 2007
- "Based on the book The Freedom Writers Diary by The Freedom Writers with Erin Gruwell" —End credits
- NTSC, region 1 ; widescreen (16:9) presentation ; 5.1 Dolby digital
- Special features: Commentary with director Richard LaGravenese and actor Hilary Swank; deleted scenes; theatrical trailer; Freedom Writers: The Story Behind the Story; photo gallery
- Director of Photography, Jim Denault; production designer, Laurence Bennett; film editor, David Moritz; costume designer, Cindy Evans; music by Mark Isham and will.i.am; music supervisor, Mary Ramos
RecognitionGifted in 2019 by Shannon LaBelle & Kevin Forbes