Justice at Nuremberg
Call Number341.69 C75j
Statement of ResponsibilityRobert E. Conot.
Creators & ContributorsConot, Robert E.
(related)Ribbentrop, Joachim von
(related)Jackson, Robert H.
(related)Schirach, Baldur von
(related)Papen, Franz von
(related)Neurath, Konstantin, Freiherr von
(related)Nuremberg Trial of Major German War Criminals, Nuremberg, Germany, 1945-1946
Summary"Conot reconstructs in a single... narrative not only the events at Nuremberg but the offenses with which the accused were charged. He... characterizes each of the twenty-one defendants... presenting each case and inspecting carefully the process of indictment, prosecution, defense and sentencing." —Back cover
ContentsI. Crime and Punishment
II. Interrogation and Indictment
- Escape from Auschwitz
- The Sword of Justice
- The Accused
- The Prisoners of Ashcan
- The Documentation Division
- Goering and Hess: The Flight from Reality
- Ribbentrop: The Wandering Aryan
- Jackson: The Labors of Hercules
- The Judges
- Ley: The Disaster of Anti-Semitism
- The Krupp Fiasco
- Attorneys for the Defense
- Discord on the Prosecution
- The Eve of Trial
- The Conspiracy
- "A Ring of Evil Men": The Röhm Purge
- The Hossbach Meeting: A Split in the Alliance
- Goering's Coup: The Blomberg-Fritsch Crisis
- Goering as Machiavelli: The Anschluss
- Conflict: Donovan versus Jackson
- The Rape of Czechoslovakia
- Kristallnacht: The Plot Against the Jews
- Schacht: An Economy in Ruins
- "War Is Still a Law of Nature": The Moscow Pact
- Keitel an Jodl: "A Child's Game in a Sandbox"
- "The Train of the Dead"
- The Ravages of Euthanasia
- Frank: The Ant and the Aphid
- Barbarossa: The Commissar and Partisan Orders
- Speer and Sauckel: Slave Labor
- "The Final Solution of the Jewish Question"
- Partisan Warfare
- The Perversion of German Medicine
- "Night and Fog," and Counterterror
- War Crimes
- "A Most Terrible and Convincing Case"
- The Catlike Elephant: Goering
- The Faithful Followers: Hess and Ribbentrop
- "Destiny Took Its Tragic Course": Keitel
- A Breath of Ashes: Kaltenbrunner
- "A Thousand Years of Guilt": Rosenberg and Frank
- The Venomous Vulgarian: Streicher
- An Irregular Witness: Frick and Schacht
- Blood on the Gold: Funk
- A Question of Equivocation: Doenitz and Raeder
- The American: Schirach
- The Political General: Jodl
- The Fox and the Goat: Speer and Sauckel
- Step by Step: Seyss-Inquart, Papen, Neurath, and Fritzsche
- The Katyn Forest Massacre
- The Poisoned Chalice: The Case of the Organizations
- "A Mad and Melancholy Record"
- Epitaph on Ideals
- Requiem for the Reich
Physical Description 593 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 22 cm
PublisherNew York : Carroll & Graf Publishers, Inc.
EditionFirst Carroll & Graf edition
NotesIncludes bibliographical references (pages –584) and index