Betrayal : German churches and the Holocaust
Call Number274.43 B551
Statement of Responsibilityedited by Robert P. Ericksen & Susannah Heschel.
Creators & ContributorsEricksen, Robert P.
(editor)Ericksen, Robert P.
(contributor)Barnes, Kenneth C.
(contributor)Lukens, Michael B.
Summary"This book is a broad overview of the Protestant and Catholic responses, including institutional churches, the theological faculties, and theologians, such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Joseph Lortz. Included are assessments of the German Christian movement, the Confessing Church, the German Catholic church, the Vatican, and the free churches. Various responses and individuals—villains, heroes, equivocators—are highlighted." —Publisher
- Introduction / Robert P. Ericksen and Susannah Heschel
- Assessing the heritage: German Protestant theologians, Nazis, and the "Jewish question" / Robert P. Ericksen
- Storm troopers of Christ: the German Christian Movement and the ecclesiastical Final Solution / Doris L. Bergen
- When Jesus was an Aryan: the Protestant Church and antisemitic propaganda / Susannah Heschel
- The Confessing Church and antisemitism: Protestant identity, German nationhood, and the exclusion of Jews / Shelley Baranowski
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Hitler's persecution of the Jews / Kenneth C. Barnes
- Pius XII, the Jews, and the German Catholic Church / Guenter Lewy
- Joseph Lortz and a Catholic accommodation with National Socialism / Michael B. Lukens
- Post-Holocaust theology: German theological responses since 1945 / Micha Brumlik
Physical Description 224 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
PublisherMinneapolis : Fortress Press
NotesIncludes bibliographical references (pages 189–218) and index