Antisemitism : here and now
Call Number305.8924 L76a
Statement of ResponsibilityDeborah E. Lipstadt.
Creators & ContributorsLipstadt, Deborah E.
Summary"Over the last decade there has been a noticeable uptick in antisemitic rhetoric and incidents by left-wing groups targeting Jewish students and Jewish organizations on American college campuses. And the reemergence of the white nationalist movement in America, complete with Nazi slogans and imagery, has been reminiscent of the horrific fascist displays of the 1930s. Throughout Europe, Jews have been attacked by terrorists, and some have been murdered. Where is all this hatred coming from? Is there any significant difference between left-wing and right-wing antisemitism? What role has the anti-Zionist movement played? And what can be done to combat the latest manifestations of an ancient hatred? In a series of letters to an imagined college student and imagined colleague, both of whom are perplexed by this resurgence, acclaimed historian Deborah Lipstadt gives us her own superbly reasoned, brilliantly argued, and certain to be controversial responses to these troubling questions." —Publisher
ContentsI. Antisemitism: A Conversation
II. A Taxonomy of the Antisemite
- The Perplexed
- A Delusion
- A Definition
- A Spelling
III. Contextualizing Antisemitism
- The Extremist: From the Streets to the Internet
- Beyond the Extremist
- Antisemitic Enablers
- The Dinner Party Antisemite
- The Clueless Antisemite
IV. "Yes, But": Rationalizing Evil
- A Cognitive Failure?
- Delegitimizing Antisemitism: Jews Can't Be Victims
- Antisemitism and Racism: The Same Yet Different
- A Time to Panic?
V. Holocaust Denial: From Hard-Core to Soft-Core
- The Ominous Case of Salman Rushdie
- Pixilating the Problem
- Parisian Tragedies
VI. The Campus and Beyond
- A Matter of Antisemitism, Not History
- Inverting Victims and Perpetrators
- Branding Victims as Collaborators
- De-Judaizing the Holocaust
VII. Oy Versus Joy: Rejecting Victimhood
- Toxifying Israel
- BDS: Antisemitism or Politics?
- Campus Groupthink: Not-So-Safe Zones
- Progressivism and Zionism: Antisemitism by Subterfuge?
- Responding to the Progressive "Critique"
- Myopia: Seeing Antisemitism Only on the Other Side
- Missing the Forest for the Trees: A Dental School and a Fraternity
- Speaking Truth to Friends: Beyond Victimhood
- Celebrating the Good in the Face of the Bad
Physical Description xiii, 288 pages ; 22 cm
PublisherNew York : Schocken Books
NotesIncludes bibliographical references and index
RecognitionGifted in 2019 by Shannon LaBelle & Kevin Forbes