The Holocaust : frequently asked questions
Call Number940.5318 H754 2005
Statement of Responsibilityedited by Avraham Milgram and Robert Rozett.
Creators & ContributorsMilgram, Avraham
Summary"Devised by Yad Vashem and published in conjunction with the Knesset, the questions and answers presented in this user-friendly volume provide an introduction to people of all backgrounds seeking to refresh or enrich their knowledge of the Holocaust." —Back cover
- What is the Holocaust?
- Why is the Holocaust so important to us?
- Is the Holocaust a singular event in history?
- Who were other victims of Nazism?
- How was their fate similar to and different from the fate of the Jews?
- When and how did the Nazis come to power?
- How did the Nazis treat the Jews during the first years after they came to power?
- What was Kristallnacht?
- How did the Jews in Nazi Germany respond to their persecution before the war?
- Why couldn't more Jews leave Europe before the war began?
- To which countries did the Jews of the Reich emigrate before the outbreak of the war?
- When and how did the Nazis decide to murder the Jews under their control?
- What were the largest ghettos, how many Jews were concentrated in them, and when were they liquidated?
- What conditions prevailed in the ghettos?
- How did the Jews cope with the conditions in the ghettos?
- What were the Einsatzgruppen, and what was their role in the murder of the Jews?
- Which German units took part in the murder of the Jews?
- What were the gas vans? When and where were they used?
- Who built the gas chambers? What kind of gas was used to kill Jews there, and who provided it?
- What were the concentration camps? When did they start to function, and what was their purpose?
- What were the death marches?
- What role did German-dominated governments play in the murder of Jews?
- How did the Nazis try to hide their atrocities?
- When did the world learn about the Holocaust? How did information reach the free world?
- Why didn't the Allies bomb Auschwitz-Birkenau?
- What were the Jewish Councils (Judenräte)?
- How did Jews resist the Nazis' murderous assault?
- What was the nature of Jewish armed resistance?
- Are there instances during the Holocaust where Jews under Nazi domination rescued other Jews?
- Who are the "Righteous Among the Nations"?
- What were the displaced persons (DP) camps, and how many Jews resided in them after the war?
- What is "Holocaust denial"?
- How was the murder of the Jews humanly possible?
Physical Description 44 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
PublisherJerusalem : Yad Vashem ; The Knesset
RecognitionGifted in 2018 by the family of Leo Lowy z'l